Dapper Dragon (33)
Welcome to Fall!
Fall is one of my favorite seasons. The air gets crisp and the smell of turning leaves fills the air. So to celebrate my favorite season's return, I'm going to bring back two scents that have also been favorites.
Returning Shaving Scents - Available 10/1
Autumn Morning is perhaps my favorite scent I've ever made. The coffee, dry leaves and lilies just smell like fall to me. It seems that the same is true for many of you - our poll on the subject was overwhelmingly in favor of the return of Autumn Morning.
People really liked Ouroboros! I was surprised, but gratified. And I have listened. I've been getting ready to release the scent again, this time with a full line. Bath soap, shaving soap, and Scale Polish are all planned, and lotion is a possibility, if people are interested.
Ouroboros combines sandalwood, sweet orange, and Egyptian musk for a warm scent.
New Bath Soaps
We've expanded our bath soap line, to include some scents that were honestly long overdue.
- Bubbly Wubbly Soapy Woapy Stuff in light blue, with an apple/rose scent.
Tiamat and Signature bath soaps are also being restocked.
Announcing Scale Polish Samples
We'll now be offering samples of our popular Scale Polish line of aftershave gels. Quarter-ounce samples will be $2.50.
It's nice to be out of the winter cold and start seeing the sun come out. Here in Minnesota we still see a bit of snow in March, but the lake is thawed and the yard is clear. It feels nice to go out without a jacket sometimes.
For our Fall scent this year, we went back to last year and brought back a favorite.
When September of 2015 rolled around, we hadn't been in business for long, and not many people knew about us. Because of that, our fall scent, Autumn Morning, wasn't very widely appreciated. It's still one of our favorites, so we decided to bring it back for an encore.
Autumn Morning combines the rich smell of coffee with Brazil nuts, spicy dry leaves, late blooming lily, green notes and sweet citrus for a scent to keep you warm as the frost starts to form.
Pumpkin Spice and Autumn Morning shave soaps are also available at Maggard Razors.
This summer, some changes are coming to the Dapper Dragon Soaps line up. As usual, we're aiming for the Summer Solstice, June 21st, for the changes.
Summer Limited Edition
It's almost time for the summer limited edition scent. This year's scent is called Festival. It combines summer blooming flowers, summer fruit, and an intriguing base of smoke and gunpowder to evoke the feeling of summer festivals around the world. Here in the US, when you think of fireworks, you can't help but think of Independence Day. Fireworks also feature in music festivals, sporting events and more, from LA to Kyoto. Festival will be available as shaving soap, bath soap, and Scale Polish aftershave gel. Keep your eyes open for more information!
New Scents For the Line
We're adding new scents to the regular line up, and in keeping with the season they include some light, refreshing varieties. Each scent will be a shaving soap and bath soap. Each scent with the exception of White Chocolate Orange will also be available as Scale Polish.
- Coconut, Lime & Verbena - Coconut and lime are the stars of this scent, and create a mixture reminiscent of beaches and tropical drinks. Verbena adds a woody, citrusy undertone and ties the scent together.
- Cucumber Melon - This popular combination can be found all over the personal care world. A light, refreshing fragrance, and a pleasant way to start your day.
- White Chocolate Orange - This was originally a custom order for Windsor Citrus from the Path to Smoothness blog. But it gets so much interest every time it's mentioned that I had to try it out as a regular offering. White chocolate fragrance oil blends with sweet orange essential oil for a sweet olfactory treat. But don't eat it, even if you bang it on the table first.
- Scylla (maybe) - Scylla will be a maritime scent with east Mediterranean influences. This one's not quite ready, yet, so I don't want to promise it for the 21st, but that's the target.
Saying Goodbye to Old Friends
There are a few scents in our current line up that aren't selling anymore, or which haven't taken off, yet. Cinnamon Bun and Pomegranate will not be remade after the current stock is exhausted. Green Tea and Bergamot is still fairly new, but it may not be part of the line-up long term.
Our newsletter, sent no more than once per week, will alert subscribers to news about Dapper Dragon Soaps.
Possible subjects include:
- New products
- New scents
- Upcoming sales
- Coupon Codes
To subscribe to our newsletter, just submit your name and email address in the form below.
Dapper Dragon bath soaps are a change from mass produced commercial bars. They are made from natural oils and vegetable-derived additives, and never use detergents, chemical degreasers or surfactants.
Our bath soaps can be purchased at our Etsy Store.
In addition to our usual scents, we sometimes play around with more experimental scents in our bath soaps.
I intentionally kept the formula for our bath soaps simple.
- Lard - Lard, or pig tallow, creates a hard soap with a copious, luxurious lather.
- Olive Oil - Olive oil soaps have a lower, slippery lather that treats the skin very well. In addition, olive oil that isn't turned to soap helps protect the skin.
- Coconut - Coconut oil makes a soap that creates bubbly lather with strong cleaning properties. We add a small amount of coconut oil to make our soap effective, but not so much that it strips the skin of important oils.
- Glycerin - Glycerin is a natural side effect of the soap making process. In order to take advantage of its beneficial properties, additional, vegetable sourced glycerin is added. Glycerin boosts the production of lather, but that's just a side effect. Its main job in our soap is as a humectant. It absorbs and bonds to the water you use to make lather, allowing your skin to benefit from it as the glycerin is absorbed.
- Sodium Lactate - A small amount of sodium lactate is used to improve the texture of the soap and to produce a harder, longer-lasting product.
Directions for Use
Natural soap may take a bit more water or a bit more rubbing than detergent bars. If you're primarily used to these products, be sure to use plenty of water for the best lather.
When washing your hands, scrub them together for at least one minute for optimal cleaning and germ-fighting.
When not in use, place your soap in a location where it can dry without being regularly doused with water. Outside the shower, or on a high shelf which is not hit by the spray is optimal. A soap dish with raised ridges or a grate is best, as it prevents the soap from sitting in its own drained water. Allowing the soap to dry when not in use will keep your soap around longer.
Wassailing is an old tradition of drinking and caroling that comes to us from the British Isles. On Twelfth Night, groups of carolers would visit houses (or orchards, in some regions) to sing songs and wish the health of their neighbors. Recipes for the mulled drink wassail varied from family to family and region to region.
For our Winter 2014 seasonal scent, Dapper Dragon wants to wish you "waes hail" with our shaving soap based on my family's wassail recipe.
Dapper Dragon Wassail combines sweet orange, cranberry and apple with cloves and cinnamon for a warm Yuletide scent.
Wassail will be released Saturday, 12/13/2014, Price $14.00
Just in time for Our Cyber Weekend sale, we're happy to announce two new products!
New Soap Scent
Our newest scent, Green Dragon is a complex scent that evokes the image of a forest full of growing things. Cedar and bergamot blend with leather, rosemary and lily of the valley for a heady aroma.
The soap is live on our Etsy store, and costs $14.00 for a 4.0oz tub.
Dapper Dragon has partnered with LadySea Creations to bring you a shaving set.
For those that don't know, Sonya, the potter from LadySea Creations, is the wife of Eric, soap maker of Dapper Dragon Soap. LadySea scuttles, shaving mugs and bowls already enjoy a positive reputation with the wetshaving community. Now, we've combined our offerings into a kit.
Each set contains a piece of shaving pottery hand-thrown by Sonya. In addition, you receive one tub of Dapper Dragon shaving soap. You can pick any of our regular or available seasonal scents. Finally, for the new wet shaver, we have added the option to purchase a high quality Wet Shaving Products Black Badger brush.
There are currently two sets on offer in the newly created Sets section of the Etsy store. Expect to see more in the future!
Cyber Weekend Sale
For our first Cyber Weekend, Dapper Dragon will be offering 20% your purchase from Saturday at midnight until 11:59 Monday (all times US Central time). Use coupon code CYBERWEEKEND at checkout for your discount. The coupon has a minimum purchase of $9.50 - the cost our least expensive soap without a tub.
Instead of sample packs, they are now available on an individual basis. For best shipping value we suggest ordering 3+, or adding them to a full size order.
On September 22nd, Dapper Dragon will release its fall scent for 2014, Autumn Morning.
For the first of our regular seasonal scents, I have released Strawberry Lemonade, and it's live now at the Etsy Store!
We received our 100th order faster than I had ever anticipated. To celebrate this milestone, I'm having a sale!